05 Jul Reasons for the Failure of IVF Cycle from a Female’s Perspective
Sometimes women fail to conceive and there are many reason behind that and factors affecting it. But now a day, technology and medical science has a cure for almost everything. Knowing that one cannot bear a child is difficult enough but not finding the exact solution and facing multiple failures makes it worse.
People do try different methods in order to achieve their desire of being a parent. IVF is one such method that a specialist would recommend to their patient but it comes with a rider. The success of an IVF cycle is 50 percent only and that means a lot of couples would have to deal with failure. Unsuccessful attempts of multiple IVF cycles make the scenario worse and leaves the couple in turmoil.
Reason for the Failure of IVF Cycle:
- Cancellation of IVF Cycle due to insufficient follicle production.
- Inadequate quality of eggs are retrieved.
- Fertilisation of egg & sperms fail.
- Failure of embryo implantation.
Reason for the Cancellation of IVF Cycle:
- No follicles are seen on an ultrasound.
- The IVF stimulation protocol does not stimulate the ovaries according to the expected number of eggs.
- If the clinic is only focusing on minimal or natural IVF stimulationand claims that it would yield better results without considering thechances for conception.
- IVF cycle can fail even with good number of eggs if they are of poor quality.
- Embryo(s) formed out of poor quality of eggs or sperm fails to develop.
- If a woman is suffering from diminished ovarian reserve (DOR) then they should provide dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). This supplement increases the IVF pregnancy rates especially for women suffering from DOR and it also enhances the quality of egg and embryo and reduces aneuploidy (chromosomal abnormalities) in embryos.
- Condition preventing embryo transfer such as ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (OHSS) and endometriosis.
- Female’s autoimmunity may leads to unexplained failure of IVF cycle.
The failure of IVF cycle is devastating but not thinking about all the points related to the cycle is more disappointing. Every step in an IVF cycle from ovarian stimulation to egg retrieval to embryo transfer should be taken with utmost care and in case of any doubt, one should immediately report to the specialist.