Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) is an early form of prenatal diagnosis, in which embryos created in vitro are analyzed to help identify genetic defects and to prevent certain diseases or disorders from being passed on to the child. Thus, PGD is an addition to assisted reproductive technology, and requires in vitro fertilization (IVF) to obtain oocytes or embryos for evaluation.
They type of individuals who may be possible candidates for PGD as under:
- Older women with 35 and above
- Carriers of sex-linked genetic disorders
- Carriers of single gene disorders
- Those with chromosomal disorders
- Women who has experienced recurring pregnancy loss
- Women with more than three failed fertility treatments
Benefits of PGD
- PGD can test for more than 100 different genetic conditions.
- The procedure is performed before implantation thus provides a chance for couple to decide if they wish to continue with the pregnancy.
- The procedure facilitates to purse biological children who might not have done so otherwise.
- In others, PGD may be a preferred option over prenatal testing in a naturally conceived pregnancy. PGD Centre in India can also eliminate the possibility of repeated miscarriages for couples where one partner carries a chromosomal translocation.
What is the treatment procedure like?
The typical treatment for PGD in Delhi as follows:
1. Stimulation of the ovaries
The ovaries have to be artificially stimulated using hormones to produce several eggs at one time in order to create embryos for genetic testing.
2. Collection of eggs from the ovaries
The eggs are removed through a process called egg retrieval. The eggs are inspected and the IVF is carried out so that fertilization occurs.
3. Embryo biopsy
The eggs that were successfully fertilized are grown in the laboratory for 2-3 days until the cells have divided and the embryo consists of around 8 cells. An embryologist removes one or two of the cells (blastomeres) from the embryo.
4. Embryo Testing
The cells are tested to see if the embryo from which they were removed contains the gene that causes the genetic condition in the family.
5. Embryo Transfer
The embryo unaffected by the condition is transferred to the womb to allow it to develop.
Any suitable remaining unaffected embryos can be frozen for later use. Our genetic team works to support patients who are at risk of a variety of inherited conditions. At Dr. Rita Bakshi’s clinic, the counselor can guide you with information about the risks, and support you regarding your decision.
If you are looking low cost PGD in India, best PGD in Delhi, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us today at +91 – 95555 44421 / 22 / 23.