- All foreigners (including foreigners of Indian origin) visiting India on long term (more than 180 days) on medical visa, are required to get themselves registered with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned having jurisdiction over the place where the foreigner intends to stay, within 14 days of arrival.
- If the intention of the foreigner is to stay in India for more than 180 days, he/she should get himself/ herself registered well before the expiry of 180 days from the date of arrival with the FRRO/FRO concerned.
- Foreigners (including minors above 16 years of age) have to report in person or through an authorized representative to the appropriate Registration Officer for registration. No registration is required in respect of children below the age of 16 years.
- Registration is also required in the case of visa is less than 180 days and if there is special endorsement “for registration required”.
- All Indian Missions shall stamp the visas of the foreigners mentioned at above to the effect “registration required within 14 days from the date of arrival” in India. As regards (b) the Indian Missions may stamp the visas to the effect “registration not required if each stay does not exceed 180 days”.
- Ordinarily, the registration process is completed on the same day, but it may vary in those cases where field enquiry/other checks are required to be done by the registration officer.
- The above guidelines are valid for all cases except those where visa has special endorsement regarding registration.
Documents Required for Medical Visa
Persons coming to India for medical treatment for serious illness are issued with this visa. The documents required for extension are as follows:
Original valid Passport and visa
- Letter from concerned hospital (should be eminent and recognized hospital) where treatment is being taken along with supportive medical documents/diagnostic test reports (with tentative period of treatment).
- MX (Medical X) visa for caretakers and relatives accompanying patient.
- Four passport size photographs (4 cm x 4 cm color photo with white background, ears distinctly visible, without spectacles and caps).
- Copies of passport (photo page and page indicating validity), bearing arrival stamp of Indian Immigration.
- Copy of Indian visa.
- Visas and all medical papers and diagnostic test reports.
- Proof of Residence i.e. copies of electric bill/telephone bill/leave & licence agreement.
- If the applicant is admitted in the hospital, medical certificate to that effect, bearing photo of the applicant attested by the Doctor.
Return Visa Eligibility
The facility is only granted to students for returning to their home countries during vacations three times in a academic year and to those foreigners who are on employment and business visas and their cases have been referred to Ministry of Home affairs New Delhi for further extension and are under consideration. Return visa application should be processed before 3 days prior to date of journey.
- Documents required for processing Return Visa.
- Original valid Passport and visa.
- Prescribed forms (to be filled on computer terminals at this office).
- Two passport size photographs (4 cm x 4 cm color photo with white background, ears distinctly visible, without spectacles and caps).
- Copies of passport (photo page) and page indicating validity), bearing arrival stamp of Indian Immigration.
- Copy of Indian visa.
- Copy of return ticket within 90 days of departure from India.
- Request letter from company in case of “Employment/or Business Visa”.
- Return visa is granted for a maximum period of 90 days.
- Note: Additional supporting documents may be asked for the verification by the FRRO/FRO.