Hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows your doctor to look inside your uterus in order to diagnose and treat causes of abnormal bleeding. The procedure is done using a hysteroscope, a thin, lighted tube that is inserted into the vagina to examine the cervix and inside of the uterus. It also involves the insertion of an endoscope to produce images of the inside of the uterus which can be used for the future reference. Hysteroscopy can be either diagnostic or operative.
Why it is done ?
- To find the cause of severe cramping or abnormal bleeding.
- To diagnose causes of infertility or repeated miscarriages.
- To evaluate uterine adhesions (Asherman’s syndrome), small fibroids or polyps.
- Check for endometrial cancer.
- Benefits of Hysteroscopy
Compared with other, more invasive procedures, hysteroscopy may provide the following advantages :
- Shorter hospital stay.
- Shorter recovery time.
- Less pain medication needed after surgery.
- Avoidance of hysterectomy.
- Possible avoidance of ‘open’ abdominal surgery.
During the procedure
A hysteroscopy may be performed on an outpatient basis or as part of your stay in a hospital. Procedures may vary depending on your condition and your doctor’s practices. Generally, the procedure follows as:
- A patient is asked to remove clothing and will be given a gown to wear.
- A patient is asked to empty the bladder prior to the procedure.
- The vaginal area will be cleansed with an antiseptic solution.
- The hysteroscope is inserted into the vagina, through the cervix, and into the uterus.
- The wall of the uterus is examined for abnormalities. Photographs or video documentation may be made. Biopsy specimens may be taken.
- If a procedure, such as fibroid removal, is to be performed, instruments will be inserted through the hysteroscope.
- The hysteroscope will be removed after the procedure is complete.
Hysteroscopy is a very safe procedure, with a low risk of complications. With advancements in medical technology, the complication rate has been decreasing over the years. This has been demonstrated by improvements in equipment and experience of the surgeons.
Hysteroscopy in India at Dr. Rita Bakshi’s Clinic
International Fertility Centre specializes in Hysteroscopy for women with menstrual disorders and other issues concerning the womb lining or cavity. Patients with abnormal vaginal bleeding and abnormalities on pelvic ultrasound scans also seek hysteroscopy at IFC.
At our IVF clinic in Delhi, hysteroscopies are done regularly by senior gynecologists and dedicated nursing staff. This procedure comes with minimal discomfort and is usually well-tolerated. A hysteroscopy usually takes between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on what needs to be done. In case, the patient feels discomfort, we advise them to take simple pain killers just before the procedure. Most women feel they can return to normal activities, such as work, the day after the procedure.
To know more about us or our services, please fill the form below or contact us at +91 – 95555 44421 / 22 / 23 and we will help solve your problem.